Emergency Services: Fire Service
This scenario involves a large local emergency service that encompasses approximately 800 users and whose financial resources are subject to external and political decisions. In this business the managers expect cutting edge technology deployment.
The Scenario is designed to help students identify risks associated with adopting mobile technology and controlling them whilst maintaining alignment with standards including ISO27001.
Examples of the problems and challenges within this business are:
- Remote access for technical support to disparate stations.
- Compliance, ICO, FOI, INSPIRE.
- Joint command for Police, Fire and Ambulance.
- Secure solutions must be achieved from a fast diminishing budget.
- Step change IP solutions required.
- Data can never in any circumstances be compromised.
- Retain data in a central location.
- Manage mobile users and how they access company data.
- Overcoming security breaches such Dropbox and other cloud storage.
On successful completion of the scenario, students will be able to:
- Articulate the major security risks and legal compliance issues for a Fire and Rescue Service.
- Identify and justify technical controls for securing remote access and data governance.
- Explain the key features of ISO27001 and risk assessment.
- Explain key features and requirements for an Information Security culture and suggest activities for developing it.
- Identify and outline key policies required and HR processes.
This page provides the resources for students to be able to complete the scenario as members of a small team facilitated by a tutor. The resources consist of an introductory video together with documents detailing the PBL problem statement, tasks and links to other materials that learners are expected to use to complete the tasks.
A facilitator guide and CSKE Guide to PBL provide additional information for tutors. The materials are modular, and the source is available so that they can be customized to other contexts, for example as part of an online course.