Secure Public Surfing: Public Open Wi-Fi
This Problem-based Learning scenario has been created to enable learners to explore the security issues that occur at open Wi-Fi hot spots.
On successful completion of the scenario, students will be able to:
- Identify and explain the security threats and vulnerabilities to using Wi-Fi hotspots.
- Explain how hackers can exploit these vulnerabilities and tools they can use.
- Explain approaches to mitigating the threats.
- Explain good practice in securing devices and web communications to ensure secure connections when using public Wi-Fi.
This page provides the resources for learners to be able to complete the scenario as members of a small team facilitated by a tutor. The resources consist of an introductory video together with documents detailing the PBL problem statement, tasks and links to other materials that learners are expected to use to complete the tasks.
A facilitator guide and CSKE Guide to PBL provide additional information for tutors. The materials are modular, and the source is available so that they can be customized to other contexts, for example as part of an online course.
Once you have logged in or registered, you can access the full PBL documentation, including:
- The CSKE PBL Learning Guide,
- An Interactive Scenario Guide,
- The Senario and Learning Resouces, and
- Links to additional resouces.