Social Engineering: Online Financial Management
This Problem-based Learning scenario has been created to enable students to explore the concepts, and methods of Social Engineering.
This scenario is based on a real attack that is provided by Ian Mann (2013, pp73-86 by agreement). I strongly recommend his (very readable) books , they provide an excellent insight into social engineering in a commercial setting from an expert practitioner perspective.
On successful completion of the scenario, students will be able to:
- Define the term Social Engineering.
- Explain current Social Engineering threat vectors, how they exploit human vulnerabilities and their extent and impact.
- Explain and Justify appropriate controls.
This page provides the resources for students to be able to complete the scenario as members of a small team facilitated by a tutor. The resources consist of an introductory video together with documents detailing the PBL problem statement, tasks and links to other materials that learners are expected to use to complete the tasks.
A facilitator guide and CSKE Guide to PBL provide additional information for tutors. The materials are modular, and the source is available so that they can be customized to other contexts, for example as part of an online course.
Once you have logged in or registered, you can access the full PBL documentation, including:
- The CSKE PBL Learning Guide,
- An Interactive Scenario Guide,
- The Senario and Learning Resouces, and
- Links to additional resouces.